Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Medieval open fire cooking




     This past fall we did a couple of outdoor demonstrations at various locations.  I decided that I was going to do some open fire cooking.  From start to finish I was going to make our meal on the open fire.  This gave me a chance to try out one of my new cooking pot.  



     With the lovely view of the lake, my cousin, (in viking) and I started to cut up the vegetables as the chicken breasts were cooking in the pot over the fire.  Once the chicken was cooked we removed it and to the pot we added a little unsalted butter from what the girls had been churning.  Chopped leeks, turnips, parsnips, carrots and garlic.  We then added a little water, salt, nutmeg, mace and ginger.  Once that everything was softened I added a little flour.  Then chicken stock was added.   As it started to thicken up the chicken was added and a little cream from the butter churn itself.  Everyone agreed the stew was very tasty.  Next time, I think I will try thickening the dish with bread crumbs.



























No comments:

Post a Comment